Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I'm a experimentaholic

I guess the first step in any 12 step program is to admit one has a problem. And so I admit it: My name is Sean, and I am a experimentaholic.

I don't know when or where my attachment to experiments began. But slowly, my life spiraled into a digression (regression) in which I couldn't help but think about the world other than in experimental terms. I was at rock bottom when I woke up this morning with Roger E. Kirk's Experimental Design (3rd edition) open on my chest. On my nightstand, Understanding Factor Analysis. And on my kitchen table, not one, but all three volumes of Kendall's Advanced Theory of Statistics.

At that point I knew I had a problem, and I knew I had to deal with it. So I figured I would come here to move through the stages of recovery by shedding my thoughts, by getting it out in the open.

This will be my research and thinking blog. I am sure it will never receive a single hit. So it will be my journal. I will try and post all sorts of ideas - some of a statistical nature, others of a less serious nature. It will be my academic blog.

It is Stone Wall Inn for dorks. It is the 19th Amendment for geeks. I am trying to liberate mankind, and summarily bound humanity within a 99% confidence interval.

And hopefully have some fun being drunk on experiments in the process.